EFFECT OF FLY ASH ADDITION ON SOME FOUNDRY PROPERTIES OF GWANGE RIVER SAND

Publication Date : 05/01/2022


Author(s) :

Ephraim T. Bello.


Volume/Issue :
Volume 17
,
Issue 1
(01 - 2022)



Abstract :

Nigeria is endowed with a lot of sand deposit, however, due to lack of inadequate information about it, its suitability for foundry application, sand casted components are produced with a number of defects. To improve these properties, Fly ash was used to enhance the properties of moulding sand obtained from Gwange in Maiduguri, Borno State. Laboratory tests were carried out: Sieve Analysis, Permeability of the Green Sand, Moisture Content, Percentage of Clay, Chemical Composition, and Green Compressive Strength, were conducted in other to attain the actual and physical properties of sand alone and that of the sand with additives in varying proportions. Results obtained show that the clay content was found to be 30% of the soil sample used for the test, and the remaining 70% was silt and sand sample. Proceeding to sieve analysis result, particle size of 75┬Ám was accepted because it has the best size suitable for the casting operation. Compressive strength of the sand was found to be 82kN/mm2 with the addition of 20% additive. Also, results from chemical composition test, reveals the percentage of SiO2 and Al2O3 to be 61.45% and 28.90% respectively. The permeability coefficient of 4.865 x 10-5 was recorded with the addition of 15% additive for better performance. From the results obtained, it shows that Gwange river sand is suitable for casting in foundry workshops/industries when used with additives to produce good casting with little numbers of defects.


No. of Downloads :

7


About BayeroJet

The new Bayerojet Journal is designed to be able to manage the increasing number of published articles. The new system will allow the publishers as well as the Bayerojet team to make publishing more efficient. If you wish to publish an article it will be very easy. All you have to do is to submit your paper online and wait to the review before it will be finally published. You can manage your articles and send new versions at any time. Browse through our page to find out more.